Sunday, December 11, 2005

Bird Watching

Joe, Sara, and I took advantage of the snow and sunny weather and went cross-country skiing at Cherokee Marsh. To our delight, we saw and heard a Pileated Woodpecker! I always thought of them as this almost mythical bird that you only see once in a lifetime. I guess they are popping up a bit more near some city limits, but they are generally very shy, elusive birds. I always hoped to come across one when I was in Northern Wisconsin or Minnesota when I was growing up. Next to the Ivory-billed Woodpecker, which may no longer be extinct, it is the largest woodpecker in North America. It was really exciting to see one finally! And on the edge of Madison no less. Usually this is considered out of their range. I love coming across the unexpected when I'm on an outdoor excursion.

No comments: